Bar-K Board Meeting

Wednesday November 29, 2006


Location: Huntley’s Home

Call to Order: 7:15 p.m.



Bar-K Board Members Present: Tim Crean, Vice President; Cary Bush, Treasurer; Pat Griffin, President; Margie Airola, Member at Large; and Dee Huntley, Secretary

Association Members Present: Andee Graves


Approval of Minutes from Previous Meeting – Accepted


Holiday Party – Identified tasks necessary to have a successful event. Cary has plastic ware and plates remaining from previous events, but would like to recycle them for re-use. We discussed having donation boxes, door prizes and Santa with little gifts for the kids.


Tim will get napkins, soda-pop, candy canes for kids, and provide a plastic-lined box for recycling plastic ware and plates.


Pat will get wine (1 case + 2 bottles of red and 4 bottles of white) and cider.


Margie will call Claudia about decorations.


Door prizes will be organized by Andee Graves. There will be a ticket to print your name. Potential door prizes so far consist of a book from Sylvia, Massage Coupon from Andee, Cleaning Coupon from Dee. Andee will contact the other Bar-K business owners for more potential door prizes and organize their availability and distribution. We discussed having a free Bar-K membership door prize for any non-member, but we voted on it and decided it would not work for a Holiday Party door prize, but would work much better as a prize for the summer meeting.


Donation boxes will be available for coats and gently-used toys. Andee Graves will provide pretty boxes and specify the charities receiving the donations in the Bar-K Quick-Topic.


Sal and Gayle have previously asked Bill from the Merc in Jamestown to be Santa for our holiday party. Joe in Jamestown has a Santa suit for us to use. Gayle Rose will pick Bill up and bring him to the party and Pat Griffin will be bringing him home after the event.


Andee Graves has pine cones for decorating to make ornament gifts for the kids. Linda Huntley and Margie will decorate them for Santa to hand out, together with the candy canes Tim is getting.


Financial Report/Old Business – reviewed treasurer’s report. Cary handed out a Balance Sheet as of 11/29/06 and a Profit & Loss from September 2007 through August 2007. Cary found a check from Nigel for $50 from April that was not deposited. After 4 attempts to contact them with no response, it was decided the neighborly thing to do was to destroy it and return it to Nigel.


Association Dues – We voted on and approved an alternative payment plan for payment of annual dues for those in financial need. If someone is unable to pay the entire installment at one time, we would allow them to make 4 consecutive monthly installments of $30 beginning in September and to be paid in full by the end of the calendar year in order to reduce the strain on the Association budget instead of allowing members to make quarterly payments as was previously proposed. Pursuant to the Bylaws, new members already have the benefit of pro-rating their dues in a one-time payment, for the period of time from when they join until the end of the current fiscal year. (essentially $10 per month left in the year)


Treasurer’s Report

    - Balance is currently $3000

    - Chipping project was a great success and will be considered for next year

    - Chipping project checks are being written to homeowners that participated

    - Residents donated an extra total of $530 to the chipping project

    - Board will be looking for alternate vendors to work with on the chipping project due to problems with Eco-Scape


Membership report:

     - Current Members - 40

    - This is low, we need to work on getting previous members to send in their dues


Dead Trees - The Forest Service permit has been received, and verbal permission from the landowner to take down  

       the dead trees along Rock Lake Road at the entrance

    - Work crews are being organized for Thursday Nov 30th and Sunday Dec 2nd

    - Contact Pat Griffin if interested in participating


Community Relations Committee – Dee Huntley distributed The Minutes from the first meeting held at her home on November 9, 2006. We discussed the great ideas and enthusiasm generated by the attendees. Cary did research with our insurance carrier on the feasibility of a playground or a picnic structure.   Either project would require a County permit.  The insurance also requires a consultant be employed for playgrounds, that specific equipment be used (and not used), and that extra soft ground protection be provided (synthetic, not dirt or wood chips).   The prices for insurance are based on cost of project in addition to future liability.   A picnic structure would be feasible, because of no added liability factors and no consultant fees, purely cost of permit and construction.   Although interest in a playground is high right now, the Board voted that because the insurance premiums would be changed forever (not for only as long as current members have small children or grandchildren), that the high yearly expense, and the very high immediate expense for consultants and building, would be prohibitive.   Both projects would be entirely feasible if the Bar-K were a mandatory and not a voluntary organization.  Cary has mentioned her availability to attend the next Community Relations Committee meeting to be held on December 14, 2006 at Dee Huntley’s home at 7:00 pm to further discuss our options. We are to focus on the top 2 issues to narrow the scope initially, then gradually increase our efforts in order to implement the programs we have decided to pursue.


Bar-K Newsletter – Andee Graves handed out an outline with potential dates and deadlines for 2007. Andee asked Pat Griffin to have a “Letter from The President” article for each up-coming newsletter, which he agreed to. She has proposed a meeting for January 11th (Thursday) to discuss Delivery and Tasks, to be held either at her house or at Dee Huntley’s. We are going to be looking for more articles and input from residents, such as recipes, articles on relevant topics that effect us all like septic systems, etc, and we are looking for more potential business owners to sponsor future newsletters.


Fishing Passes – Margie purchased a laminator that Bar-K now owns. We still need a slot-punch and clips to attach the passes to be worn externally for ease of showing. We need to print new passes for the new Association members, and provide annual stickers for current members. We will discuss stocking fish at the next board meeting.


Next Board Meeting – Wednesday January 24, 2007, 7:00 p.m. at Pat Griffin’s house.


Meeting Adjourned at 10:00 p.m.